Sunday, July 24, 2016

Day 0: RV with a K

Trying to get this done in a more timely fashion.

Hello.  Starting this at the beginning which was actually during the planning stage of our Grand Circle Trip.  I read 100 Days of Real Food and they took a huge 6 week RV trip through the Western US.  Well, good for them.  I thought a little bit about it, but mainly about how much it cost!  That is not as cheap as I thought it would be, but I kind of filed that piece of information away.

When we were actually on our Grand Circle trip and I was having a great time, something was nagging at me.  As much fun as I was having, and seeing new things, what I REALLY wanted to do was go to Yellowstone.  I had never been there and always wanted to go.  And if we could do this crazy trip, why couldn't we do that crazy trip.  So, I started thinking.  Doing a little bit of research.

I don't know if you have ever really researched the National Parks.  While they are awesome, the accommodations can be a little bit lacking.  You are searching for a room that is big enough for your family of 4 and you aren't even sure if the bathroom is going to be down the hall.  That is fine and all, but I don't want to pay 200+ a night for that!

So, I looked at cabins.  We are condo people anyways, but again, this area is so remote, to rent a cabin and still be in driving distance to the parks is not really realistic.  It was at this point that I remembered about the RVs.  We saw a ton of rental RVs on our grand circle trip, starting thinking more, and planning and really took a huge leap of faith and started down that path.

There were many many different itineraries and thoughts and plans going into this trip.  We changed what months we were going (August to June), what days we were going (RV places aren't open on Sundays), which direction, where else to stay, having the kids sleep in tents vs the RV but what we came up with really worked very well.

Campsites were rented in August.  RVs were rented in December after much debate.  ALL rental RV places have terrible reviews.  After reading all of them we went with the cheapest, Cruise America.  I wouldn't say we had 5 star service, but I was pretty happy with how it worked out.  Plane tickets were bought in February and that is really the point of no return.  From there it is just a downhill roll to vacation time!  The day before we were supposed to leave I was getting my first mammogram so Mark was the one to check us into our Southwest Airlines flight....

A note on these blog posts:  apologies.  My delete key totally worked.  Sometimes I fixed the typos.  Sometimes I didn't cause I was beat down.

Day 1:  Traveling to Salt Lake City
Day 2:  Salt Lake City
Day 3:  Driving to Grand Tetons NP
Day 4:  Grand Tetons National Park
Day 5:  Driving to Yellowstone
Day 6:  North Yellowstone 
Day 7:  Old Faithful
Day 8:  Yellowstone to Bear Lake
Day 9:  Return to Salt Lake City
Day 10:  Flight home

No comments:

Post a Comment