Monday, July 25, 2016

Day 3: SLC to Grand Tetons National Park

We were packed, ready to go, had breakfast, which started at 7, not 8, my bad.  But our goal was to leave around 8 and I think we got it pretty close.  Had to take a before picture.



 My sister got me a starbucks.  She's the best.  So, we headed out of town.

Now, I can plan the heck out of itineraries, and yeah, i can get you there, but Mark was driving so he lead the caravan.


 We were promptly passed by the Johnson's who had been driving theirs for two days and were way more comfortable.  They beat us by about an hour.

When you watch the hype video for these, they show pictures of happy kids playing card games while gazing at beautiful scenery that passes by.  And then there is reality.


They had to close the blinds so they can see their kindles.  And then the table fell down.  I put it back up a couple of times before giving up and putting it into "bed" mode.  I think they liked that better anyways.  

The drive up was nice.  It took Mark awhile to get used to the RV.  It was really loud and bumpy.  You have to make sure everything is secure in your kitchen before driving off or it will spill.  There were horrible rattling sounds and we figured out some of them, but some we just lived with.  It wasn't like we could listen to the radio or anything!  The worst was the engine.  It did fine, but it took awhile to realize that it was normal sounds as it shifted gears going up and down hills.  And we did go up and down hills.



It was neat to see a different park of the country!

We pulled into the Grand Tetons Visitor Center parking lot about 1.  Mark and the kids went to find a place to eat lunch and me, well, I made lunch in the RV.  Nice.  Here was our lunch time view.


Grand Tetons were so dramatic.  I think everyone loved it.  I have a thing for snow capped mountains.

We toured the visitor center and then headed to our campsite.

Grand Tetons was a little strange.  All of the campsites were first come first serve.  That sounds nice and all, but I didn't fly all the way across the country for first come first serve!  I wanted to know where we were going.  Well, we had a couple of options for advance registration.  One was an RV park.  Yes, I know we were driving RVs and that seems like the logical choice, but reading up on these, they didn't sound very nice.  Packed in like sardines and no camp fires.  That's not what we signed up for.  Instead we opted for a group campground, and it was great!  We got to be together and there was lots of open space.  


Super fun.  And there was campfire games like Yes, No, H2O.


And Heads or Tails.  The kids really had a great time.


Even though it was a good first day, I still was a little nervous getting into our RV bed.  But once Mark put the white noise machine app on his phone, it was fine.  Slept great!

No comments:

Post a Comment