Wednesday, October 30, 2013

Whole Wheat Apple Muffins

My typical morning snack is an apple.  I end up buying the bags of apples and usually go though a bag of them every week.  I know what kinds I like and what brands of apples work best, and mostly can keep up with them.  Every once in awhile, I end up with a few strays...old apples that aren't in great shape and I don't really want to eat them.



You can make apple sauce, or apple pie, but since I am always trying to find ways to get Andy to eat fruits, I end up making muffins out of them.  I found this recipe, and have used it several times with good results.  I do make one pretty big change in the fact that instead of chopping the apples, I break out my food processor and grate them.



You know, I can see how having nice little chunks of apples could be nice in a muffin, but again, my biggest goal is To Get Andy To Eat Fruit, and he ain't eatin' chunks.  With the grated apple, the texture really melts into the muffin, but it holds up well enough that you can tell apple is there (foreshadowing...unhappy ending).

I sprinkle the top with cinnamon sugar, and bake and they turn out pretty good!



I call them cinnamon apple muffins, but no dice.  Andy chokes down half of the bottom, the bottom, not even the cinnamon sugary crunchy top and says he is full.  Well, James and I liked them and there is always next time.  Hmmm, I wonder how they will be with a big spoonful of peanut butter in the batter....

1 comment:

  1. I definitely miss my food processor's grating disc... sigh.

    ReplyDelete