Saturday, October 5, 2013

Oatmeal in a rice cooker

So, I had a really bad spring.  Why?  Well, that is for another post, but in order to make myself feel better, I bought a really expensive rice cooker.  I know "retail therapy" is a real thing, but most people buy clothes, or shoes, or purses.  Me, I buy kitchen equipment.  I have heard a lot of people LOVE their rice cooker, but I always though, that's weird, you could just use a pot!  But in my depressed haze, it just made sense.  And what really sold me on it, was the timer function and I could use it to make oatmeal.  Done!  My original inspiration was from this website.


It's a pretty sharp piece of equipment!  Now that the weather is cooler, I am actually using it to make oatmeal.  I usually measure about 3/4 cut steel cut oats and 3 cups water.  I add one pinch of salt for every serving (1/4 cup) oats.   I was low on oats, so this is 1/2 cup oats and 2 cups water.  I also added 1 TB vanilla protein powder and 4 drops stevia.  This serves me, James, and some extra for the next day.


I set the timer to be done at 7am and then I have perfectly cooked oatmeal.


Serve it in a bowl and add toppings.  This one was blackberry puree, PB2 (that deserves its own post), toasted coconut, and some granola for crunch.


Hmm, can't figure out how to rotate that, but you get the idea. My absolute favorite topping is cookie butter.  You can get it from Trader Joe's or there is another version from Ingles, YUM!  It gets all melty in the oatmeal.



So, that is how you make oatmeal in a rice cooker.

2 comments:

  1. Nice. I've tried it in my crock pot with only marginal success...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love using the rice cooker for oatmeal. It's almost like having someone else cook my breakfast for me. Except that I have to set it up. And then clean it. So, not really anything like having someone else cook for me....

    I'm a huge fan of the rice cooker in general.

    ReplyDelete