Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Italian Bean and Pepper Chili






So I am in this CSA...or at least I was.   :(  CSA stands for Community Supported Agriculture.  I buy (bought) a "share" of produce from a local farm and each week during the summer I get huge bags of fruits and vegetables.  I'm not sure, but this is either the 4th or 5th year that I have participated in a CSA and I have learned that a CSA is NOT to help you eat more fruits and vegetables.  It is about processing those fruits and vegetables so I can enjoy them in the off season as well.  One thing we always get a lot of is peppers.  Not only peppers, but mild Italian peppers such as banana and cubanelle.  What?  What are you supposed to do with mild peppers????  After a couple of weeks, these peppers start to add up and take up room in the fridge.  Now the question is, what are you supposed to do with bags and bags of mild Italian peppers??  I've frozen them, stuffed them, pickled them, used them here and then, and finally decided to make a chili out of them to freeze and eat for later.  I tried to keep this chili very Italian influenced to make it a bit different.  The result is a comforting chili that is actually light enough to enjoy the the summer.  For full disclosure, although I have made this with freezing in mind, it never actually made it to the freezing step, but I see no reason why that wouldn't work.

Italian Bean and Pepper Chili

1 can chickpeas
1 can kidney beans
1 can canelini beans or white beans
1 sweet yellow onion, chopped
1 TB garlic, chopped
2 cups Italian peppers, seeded and chopped (note: if you have extra peppers, throw them in)
1 can fire roasted tomatoes
1 tsp dried Italian seasoning or oregano
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp grd coriander
1 tsp smoked Spanish paprika
1 bottle or can beer
3 TB olive oil
salt as needed

optional toppings (but not really optional):  chips, chopped green onions, cheese, smoked salt

1.  Heat olive oil in large dutch oven.
2. Saute onions, peppers and garlic until soft, 5-10 minutes.  Sprinkle salt on vegetables as they cook.
3.  Add Italian seasoning, cumin, coriander, and paprika and cook for 30 seconds. 
4.  Stir in all 3 kinds of beans.
5.  Stir in tomatoes.
6.  Add beer.  Do Italians make beer?  My favorite is the home brew my neighbors left us when they moved, but any kind will work. 
7.  Cover and simmer for 30-45 minutes
8.  Serve in bowls and allow each person to top their own at the table.  Serve with corn bread or corn muffins...or polenta bread/muffins.



3 comments:

  1. THANK YOU!!! This is what we're having tonight... I needed one more meal for this week, and I too have ten million peppers in my fridge, saying "Are you going to us yet? When are you going to eat us? How are you going to cook us??"

    Those peppers! Who knew the population of Pepperlandia is larger than Clemson on Game Day?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sadly, I bought all the ingredients to make this and these peppers are still rotting in my fridge. I think I don't want to admit that Stanley is truly gone...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sadly, I had to work "late" (5:45), and we ended up at Cookout... although in a way, that's not sad at all!

    ReplyDelete